Sugilite is balancing on many levels, and alleviates depression and sadness. It is both physically and emotionally healing, and enables us to recognise the connection between physical illness and its emotional/mental root. Sugilite balances, opens and aligns the chakra system, and channels healing energy throughout the body, reorganising and calming as it goes – making disparate energy less jarring and ensuring the energy flow is smooth and evenly distributed. Sugilite calms the mind and eliminates “monkey mind” (mind chatter), so is useful for achieving a deeper state of meditation. There is a strong Heart connection with this mineral. Melody says it represents the perfection of spiritual love, and makes us more receptive to spiritual influences. Naisha Ahsian calls it the “stone of dreams”, and recommends it for dream recall and lucid dreaming. Physically, it is a general healer, and can also be an effective pain reliever. Holding a piece at the Third Eye, or two pieces either side of the temples, balances and reorganises brain activity, making it useful in the treatment of a variety of conditions, including dyslexia, autism and mental illness, as well as the brain hemisphere imbalance associated with extended use of computers and other devices. This method can also relieve headaches and migraine, and the reorganising quality means it is useful when revising or working on a new project. However, some may find it too ‘heady’ or ungrounding, in which case it may have the opposite effect, and lead to lack of focus, uncertainty, or even trigger a headache. In this case, try to source a piece with a black matrix attached, which will bring with it grounding, as well as a Heaven-Earth connection. Spiritually, sugilite can be comforting for those who feel confusion, discomfort and a sense of not belonging in the physical body, or those who long for a home they can’t remember, as it reminds us that we have chosen to manifest in a physical form at this time, and helps us recall the reasons we are here.
- Chemical Formula: KNa2Li3Fe2(Si12O30) – sodium potassium lithium silicate hydrate
- Birthstone: Secondary birthstone for Virgo
- Chakra: Heart, Third Eye and Crown
- Sugilite was discovered in Iwagi Island, Japan in 1944, and named after its co-discoverer, petrologist Ken-ici Sugi. (the pronunciation should be with a hard ‘g’, as in geese). It forms in metamorphosed manganese deposits, and has variable amounts of manganese, iron and aluminium. It is usually massive or granular, but rare prismatic crystals are sometimes found. These are always small – no larger than 2 cm. The original material was yellow-brown, and it was not until a manganese-rich, purple-coloured deposit was discovered in South Africa that it became popular with collectors, jewellers and practitioners. Similar material has also been found in Italy. Recently, sugilite has become very popular in China, where it is used for beautiful carvings. Unfortunately, its popularity means it has become difficult to source and very expensive.
History and Tradition:
- Named after Ken-ici Sugi, petrologist and co-discoverer. Discovered in 1944, but only recognised as a mineral in 1976. Because of its recent discovery, there are no traditions associated with this mineral.
No products were found matching your selection.